On their travels for cookery show The Hairy Bikers Bakeation, Si and Dave sampled some of the best baking in Europe. Here they share their recipe for Norwegian-inspired cookies
- 225g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 3tsp ground cardamom or 1 heaped tsp cardamom seeds, ground in a pestle and mortar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment.
- Using an electric hand-whisk, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the flour, almonds and cardamom until the mixture is well combined and comes together to form a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough into 24 balls and place 12 on each baking tray – make sure you leave space between each one. Press each cookie with a cookie stamp or the bottom of a glass to flatten and leave decorative indentations in the dough.
- Bake a tray at a time for 12–14 minutes until the cookies are pale golden brown. Leave them to cool on the tray for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. They will crisp up as they cool. Store the cookies in an airtight tin and eat within 7 days.