Want a hearty spaghetti carbonara but without the meat? Check out this super easy vegan carbonara recipe with cauliflower and pine nuts. Ready in under an hour and less than 450 calories
- cauliflower 1 small, leaves trimmed off and reserved
- olive oil 3 tbsp
- vegetable stock 750ml
- garlic 2 cloves, peeled
- white pepper
- spaghetti 450g
- pine nuts 4 tbsp, toasted
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Toss the cauli leaves with 1 tbsp of olive oil, season and spread on a non-stick baking tray. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until the leaf stems are tender and the leaves are a little crispy at the edges.
- STEP 2Break the cauliflower into florets and cut the stalk into small pieces, then put in a pan with the stock, garlic and 2 tbsp of olive oil. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cauli and garlic are very soft.
- STEP 3Scoop out the cauli and garlic into a blender and blitz, adding enough cooking liquid to give a sauce the texture of double cream. Pour back into the pan and season really well with salt and white pepper.
- STEP 4Cook the pasta following pack instructions. Drain then toss with the cauli sauce. Serve sprinkled with the cauli leaves and pine nuts.