Creamy soups are a great opportunity to sneak some more vegetables and—surprise, surprise—protein into your diet. This heavenly spiced soup is a nutritious companion to any meal.
- 1 Tbs. grapeseed oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbs. ginger, chopped
- 1 Tbs. garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup unflavored plant-based protein powder
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 cup unsweetened plain cashew milk
- 1 cup crunchy chickpeas (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook until onion has softened and is beginning to darken, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, garlic, and ginger to pan, and heat 3 minutes. Stir in garam masala, cayenne, and black pepper, and heat 30 seconds more. Pour in broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place soup in blender or food processor, along with protein powder and lime juice, and blend until very smooth. Return to pan, stir in cashew milk, and heat through.
- Divide soup among serving bowls and garnish with crispy chickpeas (if using) and cilantro.